Historic Sites of Manitoba: Netley School No. 538 (RM of Rockwood)
The Netley School District was established in June 1888 and a one-room log schoolhouse operated on the Oscar Morgan homestead in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. In 1899, it was decided to build a new structure in a more central location, on the southwest corner of NW31-16-3E. This building burned down in 1926 and students were transported to school in Teulon until 1932 when local residents, feeling their taxes were too high, petitioned Judge R. A. Stacpoole to leave the Teulon School District. Their petition was granted and a new building was constructed and named Stacpoole School.
Teulon East topographic map, 62I/6 East, Edition 1, 1956, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 October 2018
Back to top of page