Historic Sites of Manitoba: Netley Lake School No. 775 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Netley Lake School District was established in August 1893 and, later that year, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at NE14-16-4E in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. In 1928, the building was moved to NW11-16-4E where it was destroyed by fire under mysterious circumstances. A replacement was built in 1940 at SW22-16-4E (about N50.37368, W96.97336) where, after the school closed, it was used as a community centre.
Among the teachers of Netley Lake School were Annie Doucy (1901), John Rogers, Mr. Humes, Miss Downey, and Miss Loutit.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 February 2015
Back to top of page