Historic Sites of Manitoba: Miles Macdonell Collegiate / Melrose Junior High School (757 Roch Street, Winnipeg)
Built in 1952 as a replacement for a high school at a different location, it was named in commemoration of pioneer Miles Macdonell. The eight-classroom structure was opened officially in a ceremony attended by Premier Douglas Campbell, and Minister of Education W. C. Miller, East Kildonan Mayor J. Bodie, East Kildonan School Board Chairman R. D. Nicholson, Municipal and Public Utility Board of Manitoba Chairman J. Spalding, and N. A. Matheson of the Lord Selkirk Settlers Association.
Melrose Junior High School was located at the northwest corner of Melrose Avenue and Roch Street. Designed by the architecture firm of Prain and Ward, construction by East Kildonan contractor Peter Koop began in May 1954. The structure cost around $296,000 to build and a further $55,000 to furnish. It was the first school in East Kildonan to have both an auditorium and shops classes. In addition to its 18 classrooms, the building had three staff rooms, library, and principal’s office. The school was opened on 22 April 1955 by Minister of Education W. C. Miller. In 1961, the school was sold by the East Kildonan School District to the River East School Division for $400,000. The school and its facilities were later incorporated into Miles Macdonell Collegiate.
Principals (Miles Macdonell Collegiate)
Principals (Melrose Junior High School)
Teachers (Miles Macdonell Collegiate)
Teachers (Melrose Junior High School)
The teachers included Robert McElroy.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“E. Kildonan lets contract for school,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 May 1954, page 3.
“East Kildonan school opens Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 April 1955, page 3.
“New suburban school opened,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 April 1955, page 12.
“Students give $525 to March of Dimes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 March 1957, page 37.
“E. K. okays 2 school bylaws,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 April 1961, page 3.
A History of Miles MacDonell Collegiate by Jim Smith.
Page revised: 4 March 2017
Back to top of page