Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McFadden School No. 774 (Municipality of Pembina)

The McFadden School District was established in May 1893 and a building was erected on the northeast quarter of 24-4-8 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Municipality of Pembina. The school closed and the district was dissolved in 1962. Its catchment area was divided between the Manitou Consolidated School District No. 314, Miami Consolidated School District No. 74, and Altamont Consolidated School District No. 115. A commemorative sign is at the former school site.

Among the teachers of McFadden School were Lola Ethel McDowell (1934-1936), Lyla Mary Owens (1937-1938), Henry Henry Goossen (1938), Dorothy Mae Kester (1940-1941), Joan Edna Baird (1942), Gwendolyn Ruth Armstrong (1943), Norma Grace Johnston (1943-1944), Mrs. Minnie Jean Gliddon (1944-1947), Marge Redpath (1953-1954), Margery Elizabeth Clayton (1954), Marjorie Rasmussen Kendall (1956-1957), Viola Mary Voth (1958-1959), Elfrieda Hildebrand (1959-1960), Brenda Marion Smith (1960-1961), and Marjorie May Setter (1962).

McFadden School

McFadden School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 124.

McFadden School commemorative sign

McFadden School commemorative sign (April 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.31803, W98.43130
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR5330), McFadden School District No. 774 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Marjorie Kendall for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 11 August 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.