Historic Sites of Manitoba: Altamont School No. 115 (Altamont, Municipality of Lorne)
Formerly situated east of this site and known as Mussellboro School, the first two-room Altamont School was built in 1902, where Altamont Park is now (about N49.40040 W98.49284), in Altamont in what is now the Municipality of Lorne. In 1924, a two-room addition was made and, in 1958, upon consolidation with Deerwood School No. 926, Victory School No. 1143, and Sylvan School No. 1379, the Sylvan classroom was brought here to become a fifth classroom. It was later added to the United Church, which eventually became a library. The school building was torn down in 1961-1962 and the bell was salvaged for use on a monument commemorating the school and its teachers.
Among the teachers who worked at Altamont School were John M. Sturk, Mary Armitage, and Dorothy Irene Madill Hudson.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Aerial view of Altamont, 17 May 1944,” Charles J. Gingras collection #159, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2019