To promote peaceful settlement of the newly acquired western territories after 1870, Canada negotiated a series of treaties with the native peoples. Here, on 3 August 1871, the first of these treaties was signed by Mis-kee-ke-new, Ka-ke-ka-penais, Na-sha-ke-penais, Na-na-wa-nanan, Ke-we-tay-ask, Wa-ko-wush and Oo-za-we-kwun, representing the Ojibway and Swampy Cree people of Manitoba, and Wemyss Simpson on behalf of the Crown. In return for reserves and the promise of annuity payments, livestock and farming implements, the Indians ceded the land comprising the original province of Manitoba.
This plaque, originally unveiled in 1928 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, is displayed in front of the Visitors Centre at Lower Fort Garry.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lower Fort Garry (RM of St. Andrews)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba House (Kinosota, RM of Alonsa)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.