The Hillsdale School District was organized formally in August 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE1-9-23W in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Souris Consolidated School District and later the Souris Valley School Division. The school building is no longer present at the site but a monument dedicated in 2013 commemorates it.
Hillsdale School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 77.
Hillsdale School commemorative monument (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Hillsdale School commemorative monument (April 2021)
Source: Kathryn Hyndman
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.71700, W100.46321
denoted by symbol on the map above
School District Formation Files [Hillsdale School District No. 219], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Ken Storie, Kathryn Hyndman, and David Ford for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 April 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.