Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Halton School No. 1383 (Municipality of Grandview)

The Halton School District was established formally in February 1906. As of 1909, a school building operated at NE14-24-25W in what is now the Municipality of Grandview. In 1949, with enrollment in excess of 50 students, some students attended classes in a vacant house at NW14-24-25W (designated Halton “B”) while the others remained at the original site (known as Halton “A”). An addition to the original school was completed by the opening of the 1952-1953 school year so all students were reunited at the “A” site, with grades 1 to 4 in the original building and grades 5 to 10 in the new facility.

In 1965, as part of the rural school consolidation movement, it became Halton Consolidated School No. 2432, merging with Hollybourne School No. 2190, Rose Ridge School No. 2205, and Denepro School No. 2232. The school closed in June 1968 and, thereafter, students in the area were transported by bus to Grandview.

Among the teachers of Halton “A” School were Mrs. Florence Cowling (1948-1949), Gladys Langham (1949-1950), Joyce Langley (1951-1952), Miss Phyllis Clark (1952-1954), Mrs. Marion Campbell (1954-1956), Mrs. Skoda (1956-1957), and Miss Stella Bonasiuk (1957-1958). The teachers of Halton “B” School between 1949 and 1958 were Cecile Droux (1949-1950), Edith Rudd (1950-1951), Thelma Langley (1951-1952), Bill Gorda (1952-1954), Sam Yaremchuk (1954-1956), Mrs. Winnifred Fisher (1956-1957), and Peter Tzaczuk (1957-1958).

The original one-classroom Halton School building

The original one-classroom Halton School building (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 108.

The former Halton School building

The former Halton School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 461.

Halton School commemorative monument

Halton School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.07380, W100.85988
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Bev May.

Page revised: 29 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.