Historic Sites of Manitoba: Giroux School No. 1742 (Giroux, RM of Ste. Anne)
The Giroux School District was organized formally in May 1914 and a school building was erected in Giroux, in the Rural Municipality of Ste. Anne. It closed in June 1966, as the area became part of the Hanover School Division. The building was demolished in 2011.
Among the teachers who worked at Giroux School were: Helen Winstone, May Chalmers, Brenda MacLean, Fred MacLean, Lizzie Wilson, Mrs. W. H. Cook, Ruby W. Wood, Mary M. MacLean, William Maynard, Christina Keating, Clara E. Chalmers, Nora Singleton, Julia Louise Baldwin, Miss Annie Kowalson (1930-1934), Hannah Keating, Edith Kelly, Ida Pearl Irwin Rougeau, Helen K. Paterson, Alice Benoit Belanger (1944-1946), Frances Rodgers MacCoy (1946-1947), Cecile Lambert (1947-1948), Betty Teichrobe, Minty Reimer, Elizabeth McKenzie Borden (1949-1950), Lawrence W. Ulasy (1950-1955), Leo Carriere, Josephine Sinclair, Gilbert P. Unger, Lawrence McGill (1962-1963), Neil McTavish (1963-1966), and Eva Barkman (1966).
A monument commemorating the school was dedicated at a reunion held on 12 July 2014.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Memories: 1915 to 1966, Giroux School Reunion, July 12, 2014, Giroux School Reunion Committee, 2014.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2019
Back to top of page