Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jefferson Junior High School / Garden City Collegiate (711 Jefferson Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Jefferson Junior High School (JJHS) was built in 1959-1960 at the northwest corner of Sinclair Street and Jefferson Avenue in West Kildonan. Completed in June 1960 by the firm of John Miller and Sons Limited at a cost of $426,665, the school opened to students which previously had attended staggered classes at Victory School. Between 1961 and 1962, the Garden City Collegiate Institute (GCCI) was erected west of the JJHS at the northeast corner of Jefferson Avenue and Airlies Street. The GCCI opened to students who had previously attended staggered classed at JJHS on 5 February 1962, with an official opening and public tours on 4 April 1962. Capacity at the GCCI was increased in 1964 with a 17-room expansion based designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm of Ward and Macdonald. The buildings, now part of the Seven Oaks School Division, were joined and unified as GCCI, although Institute was later dropped from the name.
Photos & Maps
“Staggered classes in many schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 August 1959, page 3.
“The Seven Oaks School Division No. 10 public notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 October 1960, page 61.
“Garden City tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 March 1962, page 32.
“MTS post declined by former Minister,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 April 1962, page 3.
“Tenders addition to Garden City Collegiate,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 February 1964, page 10.
“Principal shifting Jan. 1,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 December 1964, page 9.
“Teen tidings,” Winnipeg Free Press Leisure, 2 January 1965, page 11.
“Claim says contractor put in leaking windows,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 May 1966, page 25.
“Community college planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 June 1967, page 32.
“Third sister edits in limine,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 October 1967, page 13.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 27 May 1969, page 3.
“Education basics major concern of candidates,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 October 1977, page 10.
“Principal called decisive in usage of curriculum,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 February 1978, page 14.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Patricia Janzen-Chuba for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 25 July 2018
Back to top of page