Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strathcona Block / Ruthenian Training School (132-138 Tenth Street, Brandon)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The three-storey brick Strathcona Block on Tenth Street in Brandon was constructed around 1905 by Joseph Henry Hughes.

In 1907, the Ruthenian Training School, dedicated to bilingual teacher training for those of Ruthenian and Galician (now referred to collectively as Ukrainian) descent, was relocated to this building. Established in 1905 on Minto Street in Winnipeg, the school operated until 1916 when the provincial government of Tobias Crawford Norris ended school instruction in languages other than English.

Principals

Period

Principal

1905-1916

James Thomas Cressey (1859-1950)

Teachers

Location

Year(s)

Teachers

Winnipeg

 

1905

B. Kudryk, Jacob Makakim, John O’Hara, D. Poersch

1906

J. F. Barker, D. D. Chisholm, E. A. Davies, John Owen, D. Poersch

Brandon

1907

J. F. Barker, Emily Davies, Taras Dmytro Ferley

1908

J. F. Barker, Taras Dmytro Ferley

1909

J. F. Barker, Taras Dmytro Ferley, Frank Lord, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham

1910

Edward Boyes, Taras Dmytro Ferley, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham, Nellie Wareham

1911-1912

Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham

1913-1914

Peter Karmenski, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay

1915

A. Douglas Cavers, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay

1916

A. Douglas Cavers

Photos & Coordinates

Strathcona Block

Strathcona Block (March 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84765, W99.95155
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Central School (Tenth Street, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexander Block (142-148 Tenth Street, Brandon)

Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Henry Hughes (1857-1917)

Community Builders, Early Ukrainian Teachers by John H. Syrnick
MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1964-1965 Season

Sources:

Public Accounts, various years, Legislative Library of Manitoba.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank Tom Mitchell and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 18 July 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.