A wooden railway station that once stood at Emerson, on the CNR Emerson Subdivision in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, was built in 1923. Closed by the railway in 1979, it was sold at auction in 1989, purchased for $3,000 and moved to the vicinity of Woodlands where it was renovated into a private residence. Sometime between 2013 and 2015, it was moved to the Grosse Isle Museum where it is used by the Prairie Dog Central Railway.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Emerson CPR Station (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grosse Isle Museum (Grosse Isle, RM of Rockwood)
“Couple’s boxcars a patch of heaven” by Bill Redekop, Winnipeg Free Press, 29 August 2005, page B3.
We thank Wayne Arseny and Jack Grandmont for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 May 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.