Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elkhorn School No. 366 (Elkhorn)
The Elkhorn School District was established formally in February 1885, in the Village of Elkhorn. A school building was erected and, as of 1982, it still stood and was being used as an insurance agency, having been sold in 1892 for the sum of $2,583. That same year, the first part of a stone building was built by Joseph Williamson, and in 1895, a second part was built by John Hume. The Principal was C. C. Stewart and, by 1901, the staff comprised four teachers.
With growing enrollment, the stone school proved too small so, in 1910, a two-storey, six-classroom brick school was constructed beside it on a design by Brandon architect W. A. Elliott. The new building opened later that year, under Principal George Cecil Speers. It closed and was demolished in 1976.
Among the other teachers of Elkhorn School was Margaret Creighton.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1982: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, 1982, pages 73-80.
We thank Kelly Walker and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 November 2016
Back to top of page