Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Ward School (200 Fourth Street, Brandon)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Built in 1904 at the southwest corner of the intersection of Fourth Street with Princess Avenue in Brandon, the two-storey East Ward School was intended as a complement to the West Ward School that served the western parts of the city. It hosted students in grades one and two before transferring them to the Central School for subsequent grades. However, its life was short because a replacement, renamed King George School, was built just four years later at a site farther east.

Principals

Period

Principal

1901-1906

Jean Hyslop McQueen White (1878-1964)

1906-1907

Edna Elder

1907-1911

?

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1900-1901

Miss E. C. Bastedo (1900), Miss Kate McLeod

1901-1902

Miss Gordon (grade 1), Miss McQueen (grade 2)

1902-1903

Miss Gordon (grade 1), Miss McQueen (grade 2)

1903-1904

Miss McQueen (grade 2)

1904-1905

Miss Alexander (grade 1), Miss McQueen (grade 2)

1905-1906

Miss McQueen (grade 2), Bertha Strome (grade 1)

1906-1907

Miss Edna Elder (grade 2), Miss Bessie McNabb (grade 1)

1907-1908

Miss Edna Elder (grade 2), Miss Bessie McNabb (grade 2)

One of the other teachers who worked at East Ward School was Clara Alexander, later the wife of hockey player Joe Hall.

Photos & Maps

Site Location (lat/long): N49.84675, W99.94364
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Park School / West Ward School (Lorne Avenue, Brandon)

Sources:

“Changes in teaching staff,” Brandon Daily Sun, 19 October 1900, page 1.

“1,000 children now on the rolls,” Brandon Daily Sun, 6 September 1901, page 1.

“School notes,” Brandon Daily Sun, 30 August 1902, page 1.

“The city schools reopen Thursday,” Brandon Daily Sun, 31 August 1904, page 4.

“Teaching staff of schools,” Brandon Daily Sun, 7 September 1905, page 6.

“Schools will open Tuesday,” Brandon Daily Sun, 31 August 1907, page 1.

“Teachers for city schools,” Brandon Daily Sun, 31 August 1908, page 1.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 12 October 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.