Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources
The New Central School was constructed in 1891, on Lorne Avenue between Fifth and Sixth streets, to replace the former Old Central School on Tenth Street. It operated until 1970 when its students were transferred to the former Brandon Collegiate. The building was demolished in 1971.
Principals of New Central School
Teachers of New Central School
Among the teachers of the New Central School were Etta Moore (1906), Myrtle Whyte (1906), Annie Ramshaw (1906), Naomi Moore (1906), Teressa Kyle (1906), Cora Greenway (1906), Alice Sharman (1906), Edith Paisley (1906), Ethel Anderson (1906), Christina G. Armit (1906), and S. Edna Elder (1906).
Photos & Maps
Central School (circa 1905)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Brandon - Schools - Central #2, N3675.
New Central School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 134.
Site Location (lat/long): N49.84505, W99.94534
denoted by symbol on the map above
Henderson’s Brandon City Directory, 1906.
New Central School, Brandon School Division.
We thank Greg Sigurdson for providing additional information used here.
Information for this page was collected and prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 November 2013
Back to top of page
A collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
Please note that some sites in this collection are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service but may be used only for non-commercial purposes. Permission to use the information for any other purpose must be requested from the MHS Webmaster.
Search the collection by word or place name, type of site, or other text:
Browse indexes relating to:
Featured sites | Museums | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Miscellaneous | Unknowns