Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dufferin Historical Society Museum (44 Kings Park Road, Carman)
The original museum was a small wooden structure, built in 1959 by the Dufferin Historical Society. It was replaced by the present structure in 1967, as a centennial project of the Rural Municipality of Dufferin and Town of Carman. It is operated by volunteers.
On the grounds of the museum is the former Sexsmith House, a municipally-designated heritage structure (1998), built in 1875 by local farmer and municipal official George Sexsmith. Donated by Orval McCutcheon, the building was dismantled with the intention of reassembling it at the museum. Several of its oak logs were found to be unsuitable for reuse so the building was re-constructed in 2002 using additional logs from the Henry Morgan house. Management of the house was assumed by the museum in 2003.
On 7 March 2013, the former Boyne School, a municipally-designated heritage structure (1988), was moved to the site and renovated over the next few years.
Dufferin Historical Society Museum
Sexsmith House, 18 Kings Park Road, Carman, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Trish Aubin and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 January 2022