Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carey House (121 Park Boulevard, Winnipeg)

This, the oldest house in the Tuxedo area of Winnipeg, was built in 1915 by architect Raymond Carey. He had married Frederick W. Heubach’s daughter, Claire, and for their home, he purchased lots 2 and 3 in block 52 from the Tuxedo Company. Carey was a British architect who had come to Winnipeg in 1909, from Detroit where he had built some outstanding Georgian homes in Grosse Point. His work shows fine attention to detail. As a pioneer homeowner, he was isolated by the snow, and complained to the Town Council that Piper needed to be ploughed out. He was the only customer on the power line which ran west from the barrack gates. In 1921, he sold the house to E. A. Woodward, a grain merchant who shortly moved to Vancouver. After sitting a year unoccupied, the house was bought in 1923 by John H. McDonald.

The McDonald family occupied the house from 1926 until 1964. McDonald was, at the time, an accountant in the firm of Gooderham Melady and Sellers, later Federal Grain. He later formed his own companies, Dominion Briquettes and Chemical Company and McDonald Grain Company. McDonald had moved out from Crescentwood, and his children went to school with the Heubach family until Tuxedo Park School was ready to hold classes in 1926. His property ran through to the next street and was developed by the McDonalds to encompass a tennis court, horse barn, and lovely gardens. Mrs. McDonald supported many causes in the city including the St. Agnes Guild of the Winnipeg General Hospital, and especially the Girl Guides. Many Guide events were held on its spacious lawns.

When the property was sold in 1965, the new owner, Dr. Reuben Cherniak, separated the two lots and sold the lot on Lamont where you will see a newer house dating from that time.

Carey House

Carey House (September 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.87078, W97.21946
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historical Tours in Manitoba: History and Walking Tour of Tuxedo

Memorable Manitobans: Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey (1883-1975)

Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton McDonald (1883-1956)

Sources:

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 September 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.