Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenridge School No. 211 (RM of Rockwood)

The Greenridge School District was established in 1884, with a schoolhouse erected on the west half of 31-15-2 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. Miss Bessie Harcourt was the first teacher, for a class of 13 students. Some 240 students had attended by the time the school was disbanded in December 1914. At that time, remaining students went to Gunton Consolidated School No. 1507 or Balmoral Consolidated School No. 1710. The former school building was painted red and, for years, was used as a local landmark and bus stop.

Among the teachers who worked at Greenridge School were Bessie Harcourt (1885-1886), Bella Nicol (1886-1887), Bessie Clifford (1887-1889), Thomas John Smith (1890, 1893-1894), Archie McKinnon (1892), Ruth Ethel Sutton (1893), Annie McFarlane (1895-1896), Emma McDonald (1896), Annie Johnston (1897), Richard Fines (1897-1900), Maud Campbell (1900-1901), William L. MacKenzie (1902-1904), William Emsall (1905), Jessie Arnott (1905), Maidie Rutherford (1906-1907), Christina Wright (1908), Ida Scott (1909), Ethel Quickfall (1909), Arabella Maxwell (1910-1911), M. Edith Houston (1911), Marguerite E. Kelly (1911), Grace Clarke (1912), William M. Sykes (1912), Annie Thexton (1912-1913), Mabel Inche (1913), and Winnifred Church (1914).

Greenridge School

Greenridge School (date unknown)
Source: Merlin Shoesmith

Greenridge School commemorative monument unveiled by (L-R) Ross Metcalfe (Superintendent, Interlake School Division), Terry Hartle (RM of Rockwood), Ralph Eichler (MLA, Lakeside), and Catherine Thexton

Greenridge School commemorative monument unveiled by (L-R) Ross Metcalfe (Superintendent, Interlake School Division), Terry Hartle (RM of Rockwood), Ralph Eichler (MLA, Lakeside), and Catherine Thexton (October 2011)
Source: Gerry Miller

Greenridge School commemorative monument

Greenridge School commemorative monument (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Greenridge School commemorative bench with a list of students from 1884 to 1914

Greenridge School commemorative bench with a list of students from 1884 to 1914 (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.31585, W97.32072
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gunton Monument / Gunton School No. 1507 (RM of Rockwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Balmoral Monuments / Balmoral School No. 1710 (RM of Rockwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Green Ridge School No. 1704 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenridge School / Brook’s Grove School No. 544 (Municipality of Roblin)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.

Greenridge School Historical Site

We thank Merlin Shoesmith and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.