Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brokenhead School No. 472 (Brokenhead, RM of Brokenhead)
The Brokenhead School District was organized formally in August 1886 and a school building operated on the southwest quarter of 6-15-8 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. The original building was later replaced by the present structure. In 1966, it became Brokenhead Consolidated School No. 2436 when it consolidated with Greenwald School No. 1160 and Mars School No. 1774. The school later closed and the building was used for a time as a community centre. It sat vacant for several years before being renovated into a private residence.
Among the other teachers who taught at Brokenhead School was Edith Schantz Pierce.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
And They Built an Altar: The History and Heritage of the Brokenhead Lutheran Community by The Brokenhead Lutheran Historical Society, 1983.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 May 2019
Back to top of page