Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mars School No. 1774 (RM of Brokenhead)
The Mars School District was established formally in May 1914 and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated at 17-15-7E in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. In 1944, a new school building was constructed at SW14-15-7E, along with a three-room teacherage. In 1966, the school closed and the district was dissolved, its area becoming part of the Brokenhead Consolidated School District.
The teachers of Mars School were Nicholas Syroidiw (1916-1917), Rose A. Hambly (1917-1919), Elizabeth W. Ehman (1919-1920, 1924-1928), John W. Morrison (1920), Mary J. Parkins (1921-1923), Lydia E. Oleary (1928-1929), Isabella Frances Hall Creighton (1929-1931), Nellie Callum Rowe (1931-1934), William Mattrick (1935), Dora E. Olds (1935), Bohdan Mike Kuryk (1936-1937), Joseph H. Basarabowicz (1937-1939), Anna Mae Zaretsky (1939-1941), Emil Joseph Borsa (1941-1942), Mrs. Isabel M. Wery (1942-1943), Helene Marie Dorosh (1944-1945), Pauline Patricia Klym (1945-1946), Miss Jeannie Therese Jablonski (1947), Alice Halipe (1947-1948), Pauline Patricia Klym (1948-1949), Abram Friesen (1949-1950), Paul Yurkowski (1950-1952), Mrs. Elizabeth Pair (1952-1953), Shirley Wechreschuk (1953-1957), Marcella Cherko (1957-1958), F. Ferne Eadie (1958-1961), Joe Lesko (1961-1963), Mary Moroz (1963-1964), and Mrs. Mary Kryschuk (1964-1966).
School District Formation Files [Mars School District No. 1774], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 August 2018
Back to top of page