Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenwald School No. 1160 (RM of St. Clements)
The Greenwald School District was established formally in January 1902 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW25-15-7E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. The school closed in 1962 and the district was dissolved in 1966, its area becoming part of the Brokenhead Consolidated School District.
The teachers of Greenwald School were Karl Kaufman (1905), Sadie M. Furst (1906-1908), Adolf Guse (1908-1920), Mrs. Medarie Poitras Rock (1920-1923), Alice Donovan (1923), Mary J. Parkins (1924), Henry Graff (1924-1931), Petter Martin Juul (1931-1934), Falden Scheske (1934-1943), Henry Moroz (1944, 1945-1946, 1949-1952), John Henry Sawadsky (1944-1945), Dorothy Emma Recksiedler (1947), Nathaniel George MacIntosh (1947-1948), Mary Neufield (1948-1949), Steve Zastawny (1952-1954), Isabella Natalie Sosnowski (1954-1955), Joan Cecilia Sigurdson (1955-1956), Alvina Krocker (1957), Mrs. Marjorie E. Smith (1957-1958), D. A. Hodgkinson (1958-1959), Eugene Michalow (1959-1960), Mary Moroz (1960-1961), and Peter J. Williams (1961-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2019
Back to top of page