Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brierley School No. 1613 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The Brierley School District was organized formally in February 1912 and a school building operated on the northeast quarter of 27-38-26 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. The school closed in 1967. The former school building is no present at the site but it is commemorated by a monument dedicated on 27 July 1989. Stone markers attached to the monument commemorate the service of local men killed during the First World War and Second World War.
Among the teachers of Brierley School were Mr. J. McGeown (1913), Mr. E. A. Frayne (1916), H. Tripp (1967), and Mr. and Mrs. Macallroy.
First World War
Second World War
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Marie Dueck and Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 April 2019