Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Central Fire Hall (637 Princess Avenue, Brandon)
The 2½-storey Central Fire Station, designed by architect W. A. Elliott and constructed in 1911, is one of Brandon’s finest buildings. A previous fire hall stood here between 1882 and 1893. A 4,400-pound bell in the tower was removed in 1971 to reduce the stress on the structure. A plaque describing the history of the building was erected here by the Brandon Municipal Heritage Committee. The building has been renovated into a restaurant.
On 27 June 1920, the Brandon Fire Department unveiled a memorial tablet to six members of the fire department who died during the First World War. The tablet was unveiled by Brandon’s Mayor George Dinsdale. It was originally located in a recess on the outside of the building. The tablet is now located at the Brandon Fire and Emergency Services Museum.
First World War Casualties
“Unveil Memorial to Fireman who Gave Their Lives,” Brandon Weekly Sun, 24 June 1920, page 1.
“Unveil tablet to firemen who gave their lives,” Brandon Daily Sun, 28 June 1920, page 1.
Central Fire Station, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Peter McLure and Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 December 2019
Back to top of page