Historic Sites of Manitoba: Linwood School No. 641 (RM of North Cypress)
The Linwood School District was organized formally in April 1891 and a wood frame, one-room schoolhouse operated at SW19-10-14W in the Rural Municipality of North Cypress. The original school building was replaced in 1942, with the old structure being sold and moved to Carberry where it was used as a private residence. The district was dissolved in 1962 and its area became part of the Carberry Consolidated School District and later the Beautiful Plains School Division. In 1963, the brick building was moved to the site of Arizona School.
Among the teachers of Linwood School were Miss Sadie Wright (1891), Esther Renwick (1897), Mr. Wynberley, Miss Margaret Anderson (1942), Miss Ruth Kerr (1943), and Mrs. Jim Fallis (1959).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Carberry West topographic map, 62G/14 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 February 2015