Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba Summer Edition - The Narrows

Here are five historic sites to see while attending the Asham Stomperfest at Reedy Creek / Kinosota (31 August to 3 September 2018). This is an historic part of Manitoba because it is believed the name of our province derives a Cree phrase based on the sound the wind and waves make around The Narrows.

Search the MHS Historic Sites of Manitoba database for a complete list of historic sites.

Big Grass Marsh monument

Big Grass Marsh Monument

The Big Grass Marsh, on the west side of Lake Manitoba, was once one of the largest wetlands in the province. It was mostly drained in the late 19th century to be converted into farmland. A structure built in 1938 by the newly-founded Ducks Unlimited Canada, with cooperation of local landowners and municipalities, led to its restoration. A monument at Langruth commemorates it.

Amaranth Post Office and Gypsum Monument

Amaranth Gypsum Monument

A small monument along Highway #50 near Amaranth commemorates the first post office in this region that began operation in April 1911. A large stone embedded in the monument was once located at the worksite of the Western Gypsum Company. It was used as a survey benchmark during excavation of gypsum deposits by the company.

Members of the Dumanske family who saved the sign from the former Falmouth School building

Falmouth School

In 1922, novelist F. P. Grove published his book “Over Prairie Trails” that described his arduous weekend travels to visit his wife and daughter at a time when this area of Manitoba had few developed roads so travelers were obliged to find their way over primitive, unmarked trails in all sorts of weather. His wife was a teacher at Falmouth School, a one-room schoolhouse located about seven miles west of Amaranth.

Thunderbird nest sign

Thunderbird Nest

A thunderbird is a mythical creature capable of transforming from an eagle to a human. It eats serpents and is the guardian of humanity against the great horned serpent of the underworld. Thunderbird nests are constructed by Indigenous people to attract a thunderbird as a guardian spirit. A site on the west side of The Narrows is believed to the only thunderbird nest in western Manitoba, although several occur in eastern Manitoba.

Rosehill quarry kiln and commemorative monument

Rosehill Limestone Kilns

A pair of derelict kilns just east of The Narrows are all that remain of a once-active quarry established in 1896. They took limestone and heated it to high temperatures to convert it into lime, a building product used in the manufacture of plaster and mortar. There were as many as 12 kilns operating at time. Bags of lime were transported by steamboat-drawn barges on Lake Manitoba to the southwest end of the lake where it was loaded onto trains. The kilns were abandoned after 1913 although they were used occasionally by local residents.

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba


This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 August 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.