Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Amaranth Post Office and Gypsum Monument (Amaranth, RM of Alonsa)

A small monument along Highway #50 near Amaranth in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa commemorates the first post office in this region. It was situated at NW25-18-10W, on land owned by the first postmaster, Alex D. McLean, and began operation in April 1911.

A large stone embedded in the monument, etched with the numbers 150 3000N 2000E, was once located at the worksite of the Western Gypsum Company about 500 metres west of this site. It was used as a survey benchmark during excavation of gypsum deposits by the company.

Amaranth Post Office and Gypsum Monument

Amaranth Post Office and Gypsum Monument (September 2016)
Source: Alan Mason

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.57915, W98.73066
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Alan Mason.

Page revised: 5 October 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.