Constructed in 1938 with the cooperation of the Province of Manitoba, the Rural Municipalities of Lakeview and Westbourne, local landowners, and lessees, Big Grass Marsh was Ducks Unlimited Canada’s first wetland conservation project. Originally dedicated in 1961 to honour Isaac Pitblado, it was rededicated on 15 September 1988 during DU Canada’s 50th anniversary year.
Big Grass Marsh monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.38759, W98.67571
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Grass Marsh Monument (Gladstone, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Grass Marsh Monument (Plumas, Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Duck Factory No. 1 Building (Oak Hammock Marsh, RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ducks Unlimited Monuments
Manitoba Organization: Ducks Unlimited Canada
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 August 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.