Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Altbergthal School No. 1296 (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)

The Altbergthal School District was organized formally in June 1904 and a school building was erected at SW1-2-2W in the Municipality of Rhineland. It closed in 1965 and the district became part of the New Hope Consolidated School No. 2437. The building was also moved to New Hope and used there until 1982 when it was moved to a site behind the Rhineland Pioneer Centre in nearby Altona and used as a schoolhouse museum. It closed in 2000 as a result of vandalism and deteriorating condition. Facing the threat of demolition, on 28 September 2012 the building was moved to the former site of the Neubergthal School in Neubergthal in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. Plans call for it to be maintained by the Neubergthal Heritage Foundation. The original schoolyard with teacherage was sold and developed into residential property.

The original Altbergthal School

The original Altbergthal School (June 1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey, Altbergthal.

Altbergthal School on its original site

Altbergthal School on its original site (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 93.

The former Altbergthal School building

The former Altbergthal School building (September 2007)
Source: Rose Kuzina

The former Altbergthal School building

The former Altbergthal School building (April 2017)
Source: George Penner

The former Altbergthal School building

The former Altbergthal School building (October 2018)
Source: Graham Schellenberg

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.07486, W97.48157
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neubergthal School No. 1594 (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Rural Municipality of Rhineland, 1884-1984 by Gerhard J. Ens, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R45 Ens]

Altbergthal School is on the move” by Lori Penner, Red River Valley Echo, 11 October 2012, page 12.

We thank Jake Rempel, George Penner, Graham Schellenberg (Neubergthal Heritage Foundation), and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Al Schmidt (Altona and District Heritage Research Centre) and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 March 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.