Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neubergthal School No. 1594 (Neubergthal, RM of Rhineland)
After the community of Neubergthal in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland was established in 1876, school classes were held in a log cabin built in 1882. That original building was later replaced then, in 1900, by another structure that included living quarters for the teacher, on private land in the southwest corner of SW36-1-1W. Initially a private school, the public Neubergthal School District was organized formally in June 1911, by Rhineland Municipality By-Law 181. The school yard portion of land had been sold to the village in 1909 and, when the district became public, the school and yard became district property. After a new school had been built in 1953, the former building was sold and moved off site for farm use. A separate teacherage was built in 1958.
On 1 July 1967, the district became part of Altona Consolidated School No. 333. The school building was moved to Altona for classroom space. The yard with teacher’s residence was sold for private use and the building eventually ended up in Altona. After the adjoining yard was willed to the Neubergthal Heritage Foundation, the former school yard was bought through auction by the Neubergthal community for heritage purposes. (This is where the former Altbergthal School is being restored for heritage uses.)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Neubergthal a pretty village” by J. C. Fehr, Red River Valley Echo, 22 August 1984, page 29.
We thank Jake Rempel, Robert Hamm, and Rose Hildebrand for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 8 July 2018
Back to top of page