Memorable Manitobans: Louis Wilfred Moffit (1887-1959)
Born in Medonte Township, Simcoe County on 18 January 1887, son of William Francis Moffatt and Sarah Beard, he was educated at Medonte Township School, Orillia Collegiate, University of Toronto and University of Edinburgh, Scotland. He taught school in Ontario and was a circuit probationer of the Methodist Church for two years (1909-1911).
In 1914, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and was appointed Chaplain of the 15th Battalion. He went to France in June 1915 and was with the Second Brigade until April 1916 and the 15th Battalion until March 1917. He became Senior Chaplain of the Second Division until after Passchendaele when he returned to Canada on eight weeks leave. He performed hospital duty in Edinburgh until August 1918, was Senior Chaplain of the Third Division until Armistice when he rejoined the Third Brigade and went into Germany with the Canadian demobilization force. He was twice mentioned in dispatches while serving overseas, in June 1917 and January 1918.
He took courses at Edinburgh University, culminating in a PhD degree (1921). He returned to Canada and spent a year on circuit work at Sault Ste. Marie. In 1922, he was appointed a lecturer in history at Wesley College and was invited to become the Pastor of Broadway Methodist Church.
On 14 June 1921, he married Margaret Stewart at Morningside, Edinburgh. He was a member of the Orange Order and Masonic Fraternity. A student of economics, he wrote England on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution (1925).
He moved to Ottawa, Ontario in November 1941. He died on 12 December 1959 and was buried in the military section of York Cemetery at Toronto.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“College staff honors Moffit,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 November 1937, page 11.
We thank Jane Cousens for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 May 2015