Memorable Manitobans: John E. Tulloch (1880-1945)
Born at Welland, Ontario on 27 September 1880, son of James Tulloch and Maggie Grey, brother of James F. Tulloch, he was educated at the Welland High School and Ontario College of Pharmacy. He started a retail optical business in Brandon, Manitoba in 1907 and moved to Winnipeg two years later, where he went into partnership with W. G. Maybee in the Winnipeg Optical Company in 1911. The company was purchased by Strains Limited in 1913 and he remained with the new firm until the outbreak of World War One. He served as President of the Manitoba Association of Optometrists in 1914.
During the First World War, he served four years as a captain in the 10th Field Ambulance, receiving the Military Cross. He returned to Canada with the rank of Major. He then joined the Consolidated Optical Company, staying there 26 years before retiring in June 1945. During the Second World War, he helped in the training and administration of militia units in Manitoba.
On 28 April 1909, he married Catherine Gordon at Wentworth, Ontario. They had a daughter, Marjorie G. Tulloch (born 1910; later wife of Fred W. Christie). He was a member of the Winnipeg Art Club, Winnipeg Sketch Club, Winnipeg Camera Club, Winnipeg Winter Club, Rotary Club, and the Elmhurst Golf Club. He attended Crescent-Fort Rouge United Church. In 1945, he lived at 247 Oak Street in Winnipeg.
He died suddenly on 14 July 1945 at West Hawk Lake in eastern Manitoba. He was buried in Brookside Cemetery in Winnipeg.
Birth and marriage registrations, Ancestry.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 March 2018
Back to top of page