MHS Centennial Organization: Manitoba Association of Optometrists
The Manitoba Association of Optometrists, known at its founding as the Manitoba Optical Association, is the regulatory body for optometrists in the province. It is responsible for licensing and granting registration certificates for optometrists. Through the years, it has promoted the adoption of quality and educational standards with its members.
The Association itself was formed in 1907 by a few of Winnipeg’s optometrists. On 1 July 1909, in response to lobbying by the Association and its president Wellington G. Maybee, the Province of Manitoba passed the Manitoba Optometry Act. It formalized the profession and gave the Association its powers. A Board of Examiners was appointed to oversee the training and testing of optometrists in the province. The initial Board, made up of the first five members of the Association, comprised W. G. Maybee (chair), H. A. Nott (secretary), R. T. Butchart, F. A. E. Leach, and J. H. Bartlett.
An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented by Gordon Goldsborough to the Manitoba Association of Optometrists at a ceremony on 18 April 2009.
The following members were registered as of 1909.
“James Henry Bartlett,” Brandon Daily Sun, 1 March 1929, page 4.
Obituary [Reta Evelyn McRuer], Winnipeg Free Press, 28 February 2015.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 July 2020