Memorable Manitobans: Ralph L. Smith (1874-?)
Born in the United States in November 1874, he came to Canada in 1907 and worked in Winnipeg as an architect, specializing in schools. His design for St. John’s Presbyterian Church, prepared in 1914, was never fully executed. The foundations and basement were constructed but work halted at the outbreak of the First World War. The remainder of the building was later designed by J. H. G. Russell and completed in 1923. It is believed that Smith left Winnipeg sometime after 1914.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Advertisement, Manitoba Free Press, 10 November 1909, page 13.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 March 2020
Back to top of page