Memorable Manitobans: Kenneth Grant “Ken” Seaford (1933-1978)
Municipal official, health inspector.
Born at Winnipeg on 8 January 1933, son of August “Gus” Seifert [Seaford ] (1903-1987) and Ruby Blanche Seifert [Seaford] (1902-1988), he received education locally. He worked as a municipal and provincial health inspector. Active in his community, he was a board member (1964-1971) and Chairman (1971) of the Seven Oaks School Division, and Chairman of the Seven Oaks / West Kildonan Library Board (?-1978). On 16 June 1956, he married Doreen Louise Horn at Zion Lutheran Church and had two sons. The family resided in West Kildonan where he was a member and Superintendent of Sunday School at Zion Lutheran Church. He suffered a heart attack and died in Winnipeg on 17 February 1978 and was buried in the Glen Eden Memorial Garden. He was commemorated by Ken Seaford Junior High School.
“Engagements,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 May 1956, page 7.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 20 February 1978, page 26.
“School named for former chairman,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1978, page 45.
Obituary [August Seifert], Winnipeg Free Press, 29 January 1987, page 45.
Obituary [Ruby Seifert], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 September 1988, page 23.
Winnipeg Estate file PR87-01-07849, August Seaford [Seifert], Archives of Manitoba.
Winnipeg Estate file PR89-01-15285, Ruby Blanche Seaford [Seifert], Archives of Manitoba.
“Son fights to save Seaford name in school shakeup,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 February 2000, page A10.
“Seven Oaks schools keep historic community roots,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 June 2000, page A11.
“Schools switch back to old names,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 2000, page A4.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Donnie family tree, Ancestry.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 12 August 2020