Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ken Seaford Junior High School (374 Adsum Drive, Winnipeg)
Under construction from the spring of 1978 at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Adsum Drive in West Kildonan, and named in commemoration of Kenneth Grant Seaford, Ken Seaford Junior High School opened in the Fall of 1979. The school building consisted of 15 rooms organized into three mini-schools, each initially of about 120 students, in grades 7 and 8.
In 2000, the Seven Oaks School Division announced a division-wide grade shuffle which saw the school’s students transferred elsewhere. The Division planned to transfer the school name to the Leila North Community School. However, the decision was reversed when it met public resistance, and the name was retained on the original structure, known as the Ken Seaford School Building within the larger education complex now known as The Maples Collegiate.
Photos & Coordinates
“Construction problems listed at school,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 March 1978, page 30.
“School named for former chairman,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1978, page 45.
“Board makes preparations for Maples complex opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 December 1978, page 44.
“Seven Oaks school district to bear 12.5-mill increase,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 April 1980, page 6.
“School gang war feared, students say,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 1985, page 1.
“Students idolize jailed leader,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 March 1993, page A1.
“Schools switch back to old names,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 2000, page A4.
School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule: E 0757, Accession: GR 1196, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 19 April 2021