Memorable Manitobans: John Ross Richardson (1858-1920)
Telephone executive, civil servant.
He came to Winnipeg in 1882 and worked for the Bell Telephone Company for 26 years, rising to the position of local manager. He left the company when its assets were sold to the provincial government to become Manitoba Government Telephones (forerunner of MTS). He then became employed by the Greater Winnipeg Water District, from which he resigned in poor health in the fall of 1919.
He and wife Katherine had three children: Marion Richardson (b 1888, Mrs. Guy Harris), Ross Richardson (b 1891), and Walter B. Richardson (b 1893). He was a member of Holy Trinity Church, the Masons (Ancient Landmark Lodge), the Granite Curling Club, and the 90th Lacrosse Club.
He died at the Winnipeg home of his son Ross on 26 March 1920 and was buried in St. John’s Cemetery.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Pioneer telephone manager is dead,” newspaper clipping dated 26 March 1920. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B7]
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Page revised: 30 June 2013
Back to top of page