Memorable Manitobans: Henry George Pickard (1869-1955)
Born at Glamis, Ontario on 13 March 1869, son of Thomas and Frances Pickard, he graduated from the Walkerton High School then spent four years teaching school before completing a medical program at Trinity University at Toronto in 1895. He practiced medicine for year in Wellington County, then from 1898 to 1905 at Desboro, Ontario. From there he moved to Minto where he remained until being appointed city health officer at Brandon in 1911, holding the position until 1917. He then practiced medicine at Oxbow, Saskatchewan from 1917 until retirement in 1947, whereupon he moved to Winnipeg. On 22 June 1898, he married Mary Henrietta Edmison (c1870-1967), daughter of Rev. Henry Edmison, brother of John Henry Edmison. They had five children: Henry Thomas “Harry” Pickard (?-?), Frances Mary Pickard (?-1924), George Edmison Pickard (?-?), Edgar William Pickard (1907-?), and Albert Lunem Pickard (?-?). He was a member of the Canadian Order of Foresters. He died at Winnipeg on 28 January 1955 and was buried in a cemetery at Oxbow, Saskatchewan.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Retired doctor, H. G. Pickard, dies at home,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 January 1955, page 41.
Obituary [Mary Henrietta Pickard], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1967, page 28.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2019
Back to top of page