Memorable Manitobans: Edward Parkinson (1878-1953)
Born at Halifax, England in December 1878, he trained as an architect there before coming to Canada in 1910. During the First World War, he served in Egypt for five years with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. Returning to Winnipeg, he worked as an assistant in various architectural offices before beginning his own practice sometime before 1926. He formed a partnership with James H. Halley in January 1927 and advertised that the new studio was taking over the practice of J. D. Atchison after he moved to California. Parkinson later worked with Arthur E. Cubbidge. He served as President of the Manitoba Association of Architects (1929). From 1938 to 1948, he was resident architect for the federal government in Winnipeg, overseeing the construction of all federal buildings in Manitoba. He retired in 1948. He was a member of the Masons (Norwood Lodge No. 119). He died at his Winnipeg home on 14 June 1953 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Architect, veteran Edward Parkinson dies at age 75,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 June 1953, page 10.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Robert Hill and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2018
Back to top of page