Memorable Manitobans: Lela Helen McKnight (1886-1954)
Born in Ontario on 17 January 1886, daughter of John C. McKnight (1856-?) and Alvina T. McKnight (1957-?), she moved to Winnipeg with her family at an early age. She earned a BA degree from the University of Manitoba and studied at the Sorbonne in Paris, France. Her teaching career in Winnipeg began as Principal of Riverview School (1906-1907), after which she taught at Fort Rouge School (1907-1911) and Lord Robert School / Lord Roberts Junior High School (1911-1946). She taught French and History for numerous years prior to retirement. She was the Vice-President (1946-1947) and President (1947-1949) of the University Women’s Club of Winnipeg, charter and life member of the Manitoba Council of Women, and a member of the Canada Foundation, French Alliance, Rendezvous Francais, and the John O’London Club. She was also President of a major teaching organization and a long-time Sunday School teacher at St. Luke’s Anglican Church. She was a special guest at the 40th reunion of Riverview School in 1948. She died at her Winnipeg residence, 362 Kingston Crescent, on 11 February 1954 and was buried at Belleville, Ontario.
1901 & 1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Reception at Club honors girl grads,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 May 1947, page 10.
“University Women’s Club sets membership record,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 May 1947, page 9.
“Increased costs problem met by University Women’s Club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 May 1948, page 13.
“Crowds attend school reunion at Riverview,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 November 1948, page 15.
“Canada Foundation opens new membership drive,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 December 1949, page 29.
“Miss L. McKnight, longtime teacher in Winnipeg, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 February 1954, page 17.
“Lela McKnight,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 March 1954, page 10.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 1 March 2015