Memorable Manitobans: Henry Fitzgibbon “Harry” Maley (1869-?)
Born in Ontario on 7 January 1869, son of John Edward Maley (1827-1905) and Wilhelmina Maley (1834-1921), he worked as an expressman before coming to Brandon where he helped to organize the Brandon Brewing and Bottling Company in 1902, in partnership with his brother Edward McKenzie Maley (1851-1940) and Alexander Ferguson. Later shareholders in the company included T. H. Taylor, R. A. Clement, and brewmaster William Schwartz. It operated until after Prohibition was repealed in 1923, when it was sold to a Winnipeg syndicate and became the Premier Brewing Company.
On 7 November 1894, he married to Emily Jane Clement (?-?) at Brandon. They had four children: John Ashley Maley (1896-?), Eleanor Abigail Maley (1900-?), Wilhelmina McKenzie Maley (1902-?), and Stephen Clement Maley (1909-?). In 1912, the family moved into Maley House, at the corner of Victoria Avenue and 16th Street, losing it four years later with the onset of Prohibition.
Maley was living in Brandon in 1923 but his later whereabouts are unknown.
Marriage and birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 and 1911 Canada censes, Automated Genealogy.
“New companies,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 March 1911, page 9.
“Valued Brandon church worker dies suddenly,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 July 1921, page 11.
Henderson’s Directory for Brandon, Peel Bibliography, University of Alberta.
We thank Dave Craig for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 October 2019
Back to top of page