Memorable Manitobans: Charles Elwyn Fillmore (1887-1984)
Farmer, municipal official.
Born at Peterson, Iowa in 1887, son of Charles Wesley Fillmore and Margaret Jane Parker (c1849-1924), he moved to Winnipeg with his family in 1902. He began farming at Clandeboye in 1913, on two sections of land purchased by his father. On 18 June 1918 at Winnipeg, he married Bessie Edwina Hample (1892-1969), daughter of Gideon Hample and Martha Jane Richards, and they had three children: Alonzo Charles Fillmore (1920-1920), Jane Fillmore (wife of Laurence W. Macklin), and Esther Fillmore (wife of Gordon V. Pearson). He served as Chairman of the Fillmore School District, Reeve for the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews (1937-1945), and a member of the boards for the Manitoba Hospital Commission, Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, Dominion Council of Health, and Selkirk Hospital. He was a Liberal-Progressive candidate for the Kildonan-St. Andrews constituency in the 1936 provincial general election. He was a member of the Masons (Lisgar Lodge) and First Church of Christ Scientist. He died at his Clandeboye home on 14 July 1984 and was buried in the Clandeboye United Church Cemetery.
Marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 16 July 1984, page 36.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 June 2018
Back to top of page