Memorable Manitobans: Ezra Casselman (1860-1941)
Pharmacist, municipal official.
Born in the Township of Finch, Stormont County, Ontario on 26 November 1860, son of Phillip Arnold Casselman and Catherine Elizabeth Sutherland, he was educated at Chesterville, Morrisburg and the Ontario Pharmaceutical College. He came west in October 1882 and worked for two years in a pharmacy at Emerson owned by Frank Cameron then he purchased the business in 1885. By the time of his death, he was the province’s oldest practicing pharmacist. He also farmed 320 acres in the vicinity of Emerson.
He served on the Emerson Council for six years and was elected Mayor of Emerson in December 1914, and several succeeding years by acclamation. Under his administration as Mayor, a splendid Court House was built in 1917, and an electric light plant was installed in 1922. As President of the War Memorial Fund, he arranged for a handsome memorial in the Court House Square to be erected after the First World War.
On 9 July 1886, he married Bertha Ann Guthrie (1868-1925) at Emerson. They had three daughters: Isla Victoria Casselman (1887-?, wife of Robert Graham Masterton), Helena Mathieson “Lena” Casselman (1889-?, wife of Roy Walter Wydeman), and Katherine Ruth Casselman. After his wife’s death, he remarried two years later to Mrs. Thomas Badgley of Los Angeles, California. He was a member of the Manitoba Pharmaceutical Society, Masons (Worshipful Master, Lodge No. 61), IOOF (Noble Grand), and St. Andrew’s United Church.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Mayor Casselman, of Emerson, loses wife,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 June 1925.
“Birthdays,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 November 1938.
“E. Casselman, druggist, dies at Emerson,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 June 1941.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 July 2017