Memorable Manitobans: Colin C. Campbell (1872-1959)
Born at Iona Station, Ontario in 1872, he came to Reston in 1901 and established a horse sales business, later operating a livery barn in partnership with his cousin Archie Campbell. He farmed, was an agent for the Imperial Oil Company, and had a dealership for Buick automobiles. In the 1920s, he was a grain buyer for James Richardson and Sons and, in the early 1930s, he began buying grain on his own account. Around 1936, he purchased a former railway roundhouse at Reston and established a retail and mail order seed business that operated until 1969. He and wife Minnie McLandress (1886-1957) had three children: Colin St. Clair Campbell (1907-1989), Mildred Jean Campbell (1911-?, wife of Frank Mellor), and Helen Campbell (1903-1903). He died in Reston in May 1959 and was buried in the Reston Cemetery.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, 8 June 1959, page 11.
Trails Along the Pipestone by RM of Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 427, 546-547. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
Death registration [Colin St. Clair Campbell], British Columbia Vital Statistics.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2016
Back to top of page