Memorable Manitobans: John Henry Richard Bond (1859-1945)
Physician and radiologist.
Born at Portsmouth, England in 1859, he attended the United Services College and graduated from Edinburgh University in medicine in 1881. He travelled to New Zealand in 1882 and remained to practise medicine until 1890, receiving the master’s chair of the District Grand Lodge of Masons in Auckland. He moved to Chicago and practised medicine there from 1890 to 1903, heading to the Klondike in 1898. In 1903 he came to Winnipeg with his wife Annie and set up a practice and private hospital at 167 Donald Street. He brought a portable X-ray machine with him from Chicago and was a pioneer in the use of X-rays in Canada. His blindness of later years probably resulted from his exposure to the X-rays. He served as secretary of the Manitoba Cricket Association. He helped to organize, with Robert Aitken, William Pearson, and Ella Cora Hind, the Winnipeg Garden Club. He died at Winnipeg on 22 August 1945 and was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery. There are travel journals in private hands.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Retired Winnipeg doctor dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 August 1945, page 4.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1945, page 12.
“Free Press Necrology Files,” Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 16, University of Manitoba Archives]
We thank Nicole Courrier for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 August 2019
Back to top of page