Memorable Manitobans: Henry Follett Anderson (1864-1923)
Born at Byker, Newcastle, England on 11 June 1864, one of ten children of Thomas Goldsborough Anderson (1833-1903) and Cecilia Hutchinson (c1833-1905), he was educated at King William College (Isle of Man), Switzerland and other European countries. He came to Canada in 1880 and for two years studied at the Ontario Agricultural College then took up a farm at Oak River, Manitoba. He farmed until the 1885 North West Rebellion, during which he served with the 91st Battalion. He was then appointed Collector of Manitoba for John Elliott and Son of London, Ontario. When the firm withdrew from western Canada, he took up the Winnipeg agency for the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. In 1889 he formed a partnership with Joseph Bryan representing the Emerson, Tudhope and Chatham lines of farm equipment. In 1909 the firm became Tudhope-Anderson Company and he served as its Manager. He left the company in November 1919 and formed Anderson-Roe Company with himself as President and General Manager.
On 13 April 1891, he married Elizabeth Hubert “Bessie” Codd (1871-?), daughter of Alfred Codd, at Winnipeg. They had no children. An accomplished linguist, he travelled throughout the Orient, Australia, and New Zealand. Following the First World War, he was appointed an advisory member of the Canadian Farm Machinery Commission, which supplied war-torn areas of France with farm equipment.
Marriage and death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Obituary, Manitoba Free Press, 13 September 1923, page 14.
“Pioneer implement man is dead,” newspaper clipping dated 15 September 1923. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B7]
We thank Christine Clement (Te Puke, New Zealand) for providing additional information used here. The Katikati Library Archives at Katikati, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand holds a large biographical file on the Anderson family who emigrated there in the early 20th century.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 April 2016