Memorable Manitobans: Hugh James Pearson “Jim” Allan (1928-2013)
Born at Winnipeg on 7 August 1928, son of Hugh Blomfield Allan and Agnes Dorothy Pearson, grandson of William Pearson, he attended Earl Grey School and Kelvin High School. He then worked for three years with the Hudson’s Bay Company, travelling to posts around northwestern Ontario, from Minaki to Fort Severn. He then entered the Arts / Theology degree program of St. John’s College and became an ordained Deacon in November 1954. He served as Curate at St. Aidan’s, Winnipeg (1954) and All Saints, Winnipeg (1955). He became an ordained Anglican Priest in the Diocese of Rupert’s Land in June 1955. He was then sent to the Peguis First Nation.
He served successively as the Rector of St. Marks, St. Vital (1960), honorary Canon of Rupert’s Land (1966), Rector of St. Stephen, Swift Current and Rural Dean of Cypress in the Diocese of Qu’Appelle (1968), and Chaplin of the RCMP and Dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral at Regina (1970). In March 1974, he was elected the sixth Bishop of Keewatin and, two months later, was consecrated at St. Alban’s Cathedral at Kenora, Ontario. That same year, he received a Doctor of Divinity degree from St. John’s College. He resigned the position in 1991 and became the Assistant Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. He retired to Winnipeg in 1994.
He died at Winnipeg on 26 June 2013.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 6 July 2013.
We thank Frances Kasper, Doug Allan, and Barbara Allan for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 April 2016
Back to top of page