Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


MHS Centennial Business: Neepawa Press / Neepawa Banner / Neepawa Banner and Press

On 28 May 1896 the Prospectus Number of The Neepawa Press was “sent Free to every resident of Beautiful Plains County.” The newspaper was designated as an MHS Centennial Business. In 2015, it was purchased from Vancouver-based Glacier Media Group by local residents Ken and Christine Waddell then, in October 2017, they merged with the Neepawa Banner to become the Neepawa Banner and Press.

Publishers

Period

Publisher

1896-1930

Alexander Dunlop (1856-1930)

1930-1946

Alexander Blake Dunlop (1881-1947)

1946-1948

S. James Dempsey

1948-?

Wilfred Haldor “Bill” Vopni (1911-1973)

?-?

Ian A. MacKenzie (1923-2014)

?-2015

Glacier Media Group

2015-2017

Ken and Christine Waddell

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store / Neepawa Banner Building (243 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: White Block / Macdonald Block (272 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)

Sources:

The Story of Manitoba’s Weekly Newspapers by Major A. M. Pratt, The Manitoba Weekly Newspapers Association, 1970.

“Read all about it: Neepawa newspapers merge,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 October 2017, page A19.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 3 April 2020

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.