Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


MHS Centennial Business: Carberry News-Express

On 5 July 1889, the Carberry News was first issued by R. E. Belfrey as the News and Norfolk Intelligencer and Advertiser. The Carberry Express was established in 1892 and, in October 1910, James L. Cowie amalgamated the two papers as the Carberry News-Express. In October 2012, the Carberry News-Express was acquired by FP Canadian Newspapers LLP, which also owned the Brandon Sun and Winnipeg Free Press. The newspaper ceased publication on 23 December 2019.

Publisher (Carberry News)

Period

Publisher

1890-1894

William George Rogers (1854-1933)

Editors

Period

Editor

?-?

James Belfry Henderson (1859-1934)

?-1910

?

1910-1937

James L. Cowie (1875-1946)

1937-1946

Wilfred Haldor “Bill” Vopni (1911-1973)

1946-1987

William H. “Bill” Lupton (c1916-1987)

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carberry News Express Building (34 Main Street, Carberry)

Sources:

The Story of Manitoba’s Weekly Newspapers by Major A. M. Pratt, The Manitoba Weekly Newspapers Association, 1970.

A hard decision for the News-Express,” The Carberry News-Express, 18 November 2019.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 May 2020

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.