MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Winnipeg Brick and Tile Manufacturing Company
The Winnipeg Brick and Tile Manufacturing Company was formed at Knappen House in Winnipeg on 18 February 1882, with a Charter of Incorporation gained via Letters Patent in the following month. Its founding partnership was comprised of John Northwood, Joseph M. Taylor, and Andrew Northwood, all of Chatham, Ontario, Fred W. Gibbs (Oshawa, Ontario), George W. Towner (Listowel, Ontario), and James A. Van Wart (Fredericton, New Brunswick), along with Winnipeg-based George F. Thompson, James S. Coolican, Hugh M. Cowper, John P. Grant, Prosper L. Knappen, and Alfred Jones. The venture held an initial capital stock of $100,000 with Northwood, Giibs, Thompson, Coolican, and Van Wart serving as the inaugural directors and W. H. Cooper as Secretary-Treasurer. A head office was opened in the Hargrave Block at 326 Main Street.
A brickyard was reportedly established at an unspecified location outside of the city limits, and near railway and river access. The company’s presence and whereabouts after 1883 remains to be determined.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 2W - Winnipeg Brick & Tile Manufacturing Company, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
“Special notice,” Winnipeg Sun, 20 February 1882, page 3.
“Special notice,” Winnipeg Sun, 22 February 1882, page 4.
“The official Gazette,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 25 March 1882, page 2.
“Articles wanted,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 28 May 1883, page 1.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 October 2019