MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Pinto Coal and Brick Company
The Pinto Coal and Brick Company received its charter of incorporation via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 13 August 1909. The venture was founded by merchant Hugh Armstrong of Portage la Prairie, manufacturer Thomas Russ Deacon, broker Neil Thomas MacMillan and broker Willliam Sanford Evans of Winnipeg, along with miller Donald McLean of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. All five partners served as the firm’s first directors, with Armstrong as President, McLean as Vice-President, and MacMillan as Secretary-Treasurer. Also involved were William S. King, R. Vollans, William James McMartin, R. G. Thomson, and Jabez Bowen Hugg.
The company established their headquarters at Winnipeg and acquired 760 acres along the Canadian Pacific Railway Soo Line at Pinto, Saskatchewan. Initial capital stock was authorized at $500,000. In addition to mining coal, they also excavated clay deposits for the manufacture of bricks. It appears to have ceased operating prior to the start of the First World. Its charter in Manitoba was revoked on 1 June 1920.
“An investment - Pinto Coal and Brick Company [ad],” Manitoba Free Press, 21 August 1909, page 16.
“A Canadian Navy [ad],” Manitoba Free Press, 4 September 1909, page 3.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 83P - Pinto Coal& Brick Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 October 2019